Jul 11

Print this Post

Explosive action at the Magazine Fort between the St Brendan’s Div8 Ladies and NGO

Ladies 2nds v Na Gaeil Oga 10072019 (5)Wed 10 July 2019 – The St Brendan’s Ladies Div 4 team got a walkover and were not in action this Wednesday. It was up to the Div8 team to take the limelight. On the back of a three point victory in the Division 8 Cup against St James Gaels, hopes were high going into this cup game away to the Conradh Na Gaelige sponsored Na Gaeil Óga. The match was played on the Park Rangers GAA pitches at the back of the magazine fort in the Phoenix Park.

Getting to the pitch was complicated by a large section of the Phoenix Park being closed off by the Gardai for a cycling / jogging combo type race. This meant Marina Kilduff and Kate Reddan did not make the throw in. The game was played in a freshly cut pitch. Unfortunately, the cuttings were still on the ground and the heavens opened an hour before throw-in, making conditions difficult for both teams.

The grass cuttings and pitch surface contributed to the opening goal by Na Gail Óga. A long distance punt / shot bounced onto a large pile of grass cuttings, changed the direction of the ball and the ball skidded just inside Augustina Lazarini’s goal post, when it looked like it was heading about 3 foot wide, to give the NGO side the lead.

The Female Darkest Force did settle into the game and after getting to grips with the ground conditions, got their opening score from The Bundoran Star Tanya Brennan. This came after full forward Emma Duffy picked out Helen Macklin in a good position, who in turn picked out Brennan in an even better position to pop the ball over the bar.

A NGO shot was cleared by Niamh Byrne and onto Anne Marie Casey, the move also involved Emma Duffy, Helen Macklin and Tanya Brennan and in the end it was Lorraine Carrabine hit the ball over the bar. NGO were strong around midfield and Anne Marie Casey and Lorraine Carrabine worked hard to push up the field as well as curtail the opposition.

Geraldine Cleary made a mockery of the 10 metre head start given by the NGO half forward by making the meters and snatching the ball of the opponents grasp and winning a free out. However, NGO did manage to hit a brace of points. Making use of the small pitch and consistantly pushing right into the area where the small parallelogram should be, NGO then almost got a goal, but of an off the line clearance by Niamh Byrne was both timely and brave. Niamh was defending heroically all evening.

Emma Duffy had a shot that went wide and Tanya Brenna saw her free in hit the upright and it was subsequently cleared by NGO, despite fine pressure from the St Brendan’s forwards. Karen Tighe’s bid to give St Brendan’s a third score, ended when she was strangely penalised for barging, the free out was the last action of the first half. Kate Reddan was introduced for Anne Marie Casey just before half time.


Half Time Score from the Phoenix Park: St Brendan’s 0-02 to 1-02 NGO.


The second half began with wides from Niamh Nestor and the Enniscrone Tiger Karen Tighe, but those wides were quickly forgotten about as St Brendan’s manged to get the equalising goal thanks to Tanya Brennan from 3 meters and a tight angle. Cue wild cheering and relief that St Brendan’s hard work was being reflected on the scoreboard.

The Female Darkest Force then took the lead thanks to Marina Kilduff with a shot similar to something Pat Spillane would score in his heyday with the turning of the hip. That one-point lead became two when Helen Macklin won a turnover, passed to Crossmolina woman Emma Duffy and finally onto Roisin Fitzmaurice. This made the score 1-04 to 1-02.

Going into the final quarter and NGÓ hit a brace of points to set up a tense nervy finish for both teams. It really was anyone’s match at this stage. NGÓ did take the lead with 5 minutes to go, but then there was a stoppage for an injury whilst the players stocked up on water.

The whatever water was consumed did the trick because Roisin Fitzmaurice won a NGÓ kickout, went on a 20metre solo run and kicked over the bar for another level score 1-5 each, but the home side got their noses out in front again with a point going into the final minute.

It looked like NGÓ were going to close out the game with a one point win, but Helen Lenihan brilliantly kept with her opponent forcing her into overcarrying. This gave St Brendan’s a lifeline, and they certainly made the most of it. Romy Madden caused havoc in the NGO backline and played an excellent ball into Karen Tighe and as calm as you like, The Enniscrone Tiger kicked the size 4 O’Neills over the bar for yet another level game 1-06 each.

NGÓ had one more opportunity to snatch it at the end, but fine work from Eimear Norton and the St Brendan’s defence shut out the NGO forward. She then was penalised for overcarrying. There was no time to take the free out because the referee whistled up for full time and with the scores level. To be honest it was a game, neither side deserved to lose.

However, St Brendan’s Ladies 2nd Xv are now on a three match unbeaten streak, something Eugene Cunningham and Michael Connolly will be happy about as preparations for the Junior H Championship continue.


Final Score from the Magazine Fort at the Phoenix Park: St Brendan’s 1-06 to 1-06 Na Gaeil Óga.



Permanent link to this article: http://www.stbrendansgaa.org/explosive-action-at-the-magazine-fort-between-the-st-brendans-div8-ladies-and-ngo/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *