Apr 29

Print this Post

History repeat’s itself one year on in Longmeadows.

1sts v Ger P Morans 28042019 (IV)Sun 28th Apr 2019 – On this weekend last year, St Brendans and Geraldine P Morans served up a pulsating yet controversial Junior 1 Club Championship encounter in Grangegorman, which both sides thought they had won in eight minutes of injury time,  John Dolan believed he had won the game for St Brendans but the away side notched up a point from a free in to level the game 0-16 to 2-10. So what would happen today in Longmeadows?

Unlike last year, after losing to St Finians Newcastle, St Brendans came into this game on the back of a two-point victory away to St James’s Gaels.

The game, played in Longmeadows, saw the Gers get the opening score with a point. Brendan Brogan played a great ball to Denis ‘The Killarney Menace’ Galvin and onto James McGee who was taken out mid-flight in the penalty area and was awarded a penalty.  John Burns stepped up, three steps and bang in the net.

That became 1-01 with great vision by Galvin to find Luke “The Miracle worker” McDonagh for the point. A Ger’s bid for a score ended with a shot hitting the upright and cleared by Franklin ‘Kepa’ O’Reilly

The Dark Force were motoring and a long Ger’s shot was turned-over by The Rob Kearney of Knockmore, Jason Clarke, with the move ending with Ciaran Kilcullen shooting over the bar. Phil Bannon then made it 1-03 after collecting a Colin Folan pass and shooting over the bar despite two Ger’s players clinging on to his shoulders.

The run continued when Kilcullen notched up his second point of the morning after another Prenty pass, which the referee gave advantage after a hand on the back of the Prince of Ballyhaunis.

22 minutes gone and Geraldine P Morans went on their own purple patch with 1-02 without reply, the goal coming when an intended Phil Bannon breakdown to John Burns was recovered by Ger’s who went upfield and scored the goal.

Then a huge blow for St Brendans with midfield talisman Phil Bannon getting a straight red card for an unsatisfactory tackle according to the referee. Ger’s got an equaliser with 3 minutes to go and could have taken the lead but another shot hit the upright and into the arms of Paul Coleman.


Half time score: St Brendans 1-04 to 1-04 Geraldine P Morans.


St Brendans retook the lead in the second half thanks to a free in from Luke McDonagh, despite a foul on Ciaran Kilcullen that saw his shot go over the bar.

Geraldine P Morans retook the lead with a second goal after a too casual pass by “The Notorious” Ryan Egan was turned-over and worked up the field to the back of Mark Redican’s net. But St Brendans responded with a point from a free-in by John Burns after Niall Prenty was taken out when pulling the trigger.

Burns went on win the next Ger’s kick-out but was taken out mid-run. Twelve minutes gone and the sides were level again with a point from Ciaran Kilcullen after a turnover from the Notorious Ryan Egan who had been on his best behaviour. Colin Folan admittedly put too much welly on a pass to Luke McDonagh but the ball came off a Ger’s backs hand for a 45 which Burns promptly converted and the lead for St Brendans.

Burns again won the next Ger’s kick-out for a mark and played a great ball into the corner to Lorcan Bannon who then a passed to Ciaran Kilcullen for his fourth and St Brendans ninth point which was described as “An Animal of a score”.

However, with 5 minutes to go, Geraldine P Morans levelled the game with a brace of scores. The first was their first point of the second half after 21 minutes. The away side were looking for victory but a player barged into Franklin O Reilly, who took the free-out to Get Bannon and onto John Burns. Burns who had support from Kevin Curry opted to take a long-shot over the bar to give St Brendans the lead going into injury time.

Luke McDonagh could not produce the Miracle this time and a shot went wide. Then exactly what happened last year. Ger’s produced an equaliser with 13 St Brendans players behind the ball and after great work by Ger Bannon to force the attack on the backfoot, Ger’s managed to get their shot over.

A shot by Kevin Curry went narrowly wide and that was the end of the game. History repeats itself with the same outcome as last year.

The Junior 1 Club Championship is now parked until September with the League taking over until then. Next up is the first Tuesday evening fixture at home to O’Dwyers.


Final score from Longmeadows: St Brendans 1-10(13) to 2-07(13) Geraldine P Morans.





Permanent link to this article: http://www.stbrendansgaa.org/history-repeats-itself-one-year-on-in-longmeadows/