Mar 26

Print this Post

Burns helps 1sts to Foil Na Fianna while Shadowens comes good for 2nds in Swords

1sts v Na Fianna 25032018 (6)Adult fixtures have been light over the last number of weeks, but the Juveniles, sponsored by Centra Stoneybatter made up for that with action over the past two weekends. On March 10th, the Under 8 Hurlers played Fingallians away.  On the morning of St Patricks Day, the Under 8 footballers were away to Innisfails and the Under 11 footballers were away to St Margaret’s. Yesterday the Under 8 Hurlers, sponsored by SupportIT, were in action at home to Round Towers Lusk while the Under 10 Ladies Footballers, sponsored by Martin and Moran Property Advisors,  were at home to Erin Go Bragh.

25 Mar 2018 – 1st Team Action

So after five weeks away, the St Brendan’s Football 1st XV, were back in action with Na Fianna the visitors to Grangegorman in Round 2 of AFL5

It was The Dark Force who got the opening score of the game thanks to John Burns, following a turnover by Niall McGovern at full back. The Mobhi Roaders equalised soon afterwards with a free-in and took the lead seconds later after Mark Redicans kick-out was caught by NaFianna. The away side continued the attack and rattled Redicans net for a goal and a four point lead.

However, St Brendans replied when Prince Of Ballyhaunis Niall Prenty rounded the goalkeeper after collecting a Pearse Ryan long ball and slotted the ball into the net. James McGee’s bid to give his side the lead ended when he was hand tripped in the penalty area. A penalty was awarded and John Burns took just three steps  and buried the penalty in the top right hand corner of the net. Brendan’s 2-01 to 1-02 Na Fianna.

Na Fianna equalised with a brace of points but St Brendan’s were back on the board after 22 minutes when Karl Feehan scored a free-in after McGee was fouled. McGee was rewarded by the raising of St Brendan’s third green flag of the morning following a perfectly timed Prenty pass.

Derek Brady was fouled as he shot for a score, and although it went over the bar, the referee decided that the free-in needed to be taken. With the last action of the half, Feehan converted in a match where one notable spectator was Martin Hobbins, a star on the St Brendan’s Junior Hurling Championship winning team in 1987.


Half-time Score: St Brendan’s 3-03 to 1-04 Na Fianna


Things got even better for The Dark Force when Niall Prenty’s goal bound shot was adjudged to have been foot-blocked. Up stepped Burns who repeated his three step run up, this time burying the ball in the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Na Fianna had a free-in which the goalkeeper took but fell short and was turned over by Pearse Ryan. Derek Brady took a tumble but managed to pass to John Dolan and the Westmeath man made a dashing solo-run and shot over the bar to make it 4-04 to 1-04.

Another Na Fianna point followed and John Burns won the mark from Redican’s kick-out. Karl Feehan was tripped when collecting Burns pass and took the free to fellow Rossie Derek Brady who made 25 meters and kicked over the bar to make the lead nine points.

Another brace of Na Fianna points followed to cut the gap to seven, but John Dolan replied with a trademark score by skimming the endline and punching over the bar. The lead was restored to nine with a burns point from play with Frankin O’Reilly and Conor O’Malley contributing in the attack.

The two Oisin’s, Carley and O’Meara were pivotal in the next score with the Wexican making a crucial turnover and the Tipperary man making a typical swashbuckling solo-run to pass to Niall Prenty for another good score and a 10-point lead.

Na Fianna hit another brace with free in’s and made one last attempt to score a second goal, but with 13 of St Brendan’s 15 players behind the ball, it was Ger Bannon who broke down the attack. That turnover signaled the end of the game and a first AFL5 victory on the board for St Brendan’s.

No games this Easter Weekend, but the Junior 1 Championship draws were made during the week and St Brendan’s find themselves in a Group with Geraldine Moran’s, St Finian’s Newcastle, and Wanderers. Two games will be played in April with the final round in September after all the League fixtures have been played.


Final score in Grangegorman: St Brendans 4-08(20) to 1-09(12) Na Fianna.

1sts-v-na-fianna-25032018-1 1sts-v-na-fianna-25032018-4 1sts-v-na-fianna-25032018-5


25 Mar 2018 – 2nd Team Action

After being denied the chance of playing in Grangegorman three weeks ago, due to The Beast From the East, The St Brendans 2nd XV made the journey to Swords to face a Fingallians team who were one of three teams The Darkest Force defeated during the magic month of May 2017.

The match was played in the park across the road, with players crossing the footbridge on the Swords Bypass to get to the pitch. 20 players togged out for the 2nd XV but the game was played as a 13 a side, due to Fingallians having short numbers.

At 2.40pm the ball was thrown in. There was no score for over six minutes, with the opening Fingallians effort going wide, Christopher Hand had a shot fall short and John Ryan saw his goal attempt cleared off the line. Ryan eventually got the opening score thanks to a turnover ball from debutant, Offaly man Cormac Mullen.

Fingallians saw a shot go inches wide but was marked down as a point by the referee, in part thanks to our own umpire Billy Kelly. But the Darkest Force soon had a two point lead thanks to another Cormac Mullen turnover and pass to Malachi Doyle. Doyle found Graham Henry who passed to Eoin O’Connor, who, coming back after a long injury layoff, converted for a point.

Henry himself got on the score sheet a minute later with that sweet left foot of his. Despite their low numbers, Fingallians found their rhythm with a brace of points to level matters and could have taken a lead but for a great block by Damien Daly to force a 45 which was subsequently sent wide.

The O’Connor comeback was halted when he picked up a knock and was replaced by Cathal McCormack. Despite the enforced replacement, it was an effective one as McCormack, with his first possession found the net for a goal, in a move that started with a mark and a 45meter solo-run by Vincent O’Flynn.

Some Fingallians disorganization occurred during their kick-out, but the swords men managed to clean up their act before John Ryan pounced. Two minutes later, Henry got his second point of the afternoon following a Ryan pass. A fourth Fingallians point rounded off first half proceedings.


Half Time score: St Brendans 1-04 to 0-04 Fingallians.


It was all Fingallians in the opening six minutes of the second half, with three points on the spin to level matters 1-04 to 0-07. But Brendan’s took control in the next six minutes with three points, the first from Graham Henry following a pass from fellow Meath Man Eoin Galligan.

Fingallians could have gotten a goal but the shot hit the post and was cleared by John Maguire. John Ryan found Ger Power to score a second point of the sequence and the third point came from John Ryan, who despite overshooting his toe tap, still managed to steady himself and take the shot over the bar 1-07 to 0-07.

Indeed there was a fourth point in succession, thanks to Christopher Hand who was fouled after collecting a Damien Daly pass. John Tuffy introduced the two Americans on the panel, Kevin Purce and Eric Shadowens and the two contributed for, what looked like, the game winning goal, with the Yonkers man Purce, passing to Michigan man Shadowens for a shot into the net, which was followed by chants of U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A.

Brendans were up by six with four minutes to go. Fingallians however were determined to finish on a high and although one of their players slipped at the crucial moment, his shot found the mark.

Questions were being asked of The Darkest Force. Were they about to hit the self-destruct button at the end?

A Fingallians penalty set the game up for a cliff-hanger end, and a Brendan’s man was sent to the line for a second bookable offence. Fingallians piled on the pressure but were thwarted a number of times by a resilient Brendans defence.

Graham Henry defended bravely putting his head where others put their foot and won a free out. The Brendan’s attack was turned-over and another free-in was given to the home side.

Fingallians needing a goal for the win lobbed the ball goal-wards, which was punched clear by Paul Farrelly. The final play of the game came when Malachi Doyle and Damien Daly combined to legally strip the ball from a Fingallians attacker.

A priceless victory for a Brendan’s team who held on till the end, which should give the team the world of confidence for the remainder of the AFL10 campaign.


Final score from Lawless Park: St Brendan’s 2-08(14) to 1-09(12) Fingallians.


Permanent link to this article: http://www.stbrendansgaa.org/john-burns-helps-to-foil-na-fianna/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *