Mar 11

Print this Post

Sin Sceal Eile for Hurlers in Grangegorman

Hurlers v Na Gaeil Óga 10032019 (15)ZSunday 10 Mar 2019 – Last July on this website we reported on a AHL7 clash away to Na Gaeil Óga, who went on to run out 4-19 to 0-05 winners. Today in Grangegorman, the two sides locked horns again for the first time since that fateful July Morning in St Catherine’s Park.
The thought of a similar result was feared when Na Gaeil Óga raced into an eight point to no score lead halfway into the first half as both teams struggled with the greasy underfoot conditions following Saturdays Higher Education Ladies Football finals which took place in Grangegorman, plus the heavy rain shower half an hour before throw in.
The Dark Force were finally on the board thanks to a Shane Foley free in after a NGO player emerged with the slioter after a scramble but was penalised for over carrying.

Rory Tynan was beaten for goal, despite blocking the initial goal bound 13 meter free-in, which rebounded and went into the net. Both Stephen Brophy and Conor Browne shot wides with the latter shooting wide with a goal bound shot as the away side seen half time with a sizable lead.


Half Time Score: St Brendan’s 0-01 to 1-11(14) Na Gaeil Óga


It was a classic case of Sin Sceal Eile in the second half with St Brendan’s, now with wind advantage, hitting the opening two scores, first with Shane Muldoon from close range and then from Oisin Carley from long range. St Brendan’s went full attack in the second half when a free in by Shane Foley fell short and Stephen Brophy played a cross field ball to Noel Lane whose first-time snapshot was saved inches from the goal-line.

Another point from the away side followed but Stephen Brophy took perfect advantage of a strong gust of wind blowing at the time by guiding the slioter between the sticks from 105 meters out. Indeed that would be the first of a brace of points with Shane Muldoon hitting a snapshot over the bar. After only getting 1 point in 30 minutes of the first half, St Brendan’s scored 6 points in 10 minutes of the second half after Aidan Melia emerged with possession and passed to Carley for the sixth point.

The next Na Gaeil Óga point was a heartbreaker for the home side after Brophy had a great goal opportunity but could not get onto his favoured right-hand side and instead hit a ground stroke to Aidan Melia who struggled under pressure to get the slioter onto is hurl. Four Na Gaeil Óga backs swarmed around him, won possession and worked it up the field for the point.

Brophy made up for that disappointment by hitting his sides seventh point as the heavens opened with a hail shower and crossfield winds. Nothing much happened scoring wise until the hail shower stopped and Na Gaeil Óga hit their 17th point despite herculean defending from Sean Dardis and the Brendan’s backline.

As weather conditions deteriorated, the referee called a halt to the game 15 seconds into injury time. So after the highs of victory two weeks comes the disappointment of defeat, the weather and ground conditions did not help matters but St Brendan’s never gave up and competed well in the second half. The team now move on to Tom Russell Park and a Division 7 Round 3 fixture with St Brigids in two week’s time.


Final score from Grangegorman: Na Gaeil Óga 1-17(20) to 0-07 St Brendan’s


Permanent link to this article: http://www.stbrendansgaa.org/sin-sceal-eile-for-hurlers-in-grangegorman/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *